10/29/07

Ensign, October, 2007

Ensign, October, 2007

10:24pm Wednesday, Oct 24 Edit Note Delete
Sheesh. I just like Dumbledore ok, you'd have thought I told people that funeral potatoes were against the Word of Wisdom. Lots of people got all off topicy and snappish.Man I want this to be over. I want people to stop telling me that "Gay members cannot be good members of the church, they can be good people, but not good members of the church. They won't be excommunicated, but they cannot go on missions, serve in higher church callings or attend the temple."Now I'm willing to let a lot slide, but when people write me with such incorrect and ignorant assumptions about the church, I feel inclined to be helpful. Gosh, I wish the church would give talks, make statements, publish articles in the Engisn, and maintain a church website so my questions about members who have same-sex-attractions. OH SNAP. THEY DO!!!!!!!!!!Brought to you in this months Ensign, a talk by our friend Elder Jeffery R. Holland, Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I will quote directly, but if you want to double check, well read the Ensign or visit lds.org. context- A gay young man visits Elder Holland telling him he is no longer worthy to remain a member of the church because he is gay. Elder Holland asks if he has acted on his feelings. The young man says no, and Elder Holland responds,"As long as your life is in harmony with the commandments, then you are worthy to SERVE in the church, ENJOY FULL FELLOWSHIP with the members ATTEND THE TEMPLE, and recieve all the blessings of the Savior's Atonement."Ok, so I may have gotten a little caps-happy, but the wording is all word-for-word.So. I think that settles that little mind-teaser. I think somebody who felt inclined to comment on my notes repeatedly needs to sign up for the Ensign. Oh, and it's this months, so it seems like even after Pres. Hinckley "raised the bar," gay people who obey the commandments can still go on missions.I feel inclined to say "OH SNAP" right now. I don't know why. Wierd. I don't want to go into all sorts of nonsense about when a person with same-sex-attractions "crosses the line" and makes a bad choice. That's between that person, their church leaders, and the Lord. I just wanted to clarify that what I said in my initial posting is still true. You can be homosexual and a good member of the church.I'd like to end with Elder Holland's message to the young man he interviewed, he quoted President Boyd K. Packer,"We do not reject you, We cannot reject you, for you are the sons and daughters of God. We will not reject you, because we love you."Isn't our church great? Isn't the Ensign Great? Isn't wonderful how the church encourages it's members to be well educated by producing all sorts of wonderful reading material. I think so. Now if this makes you angry, please write Elder Holland and Packer. I'm sure they would love to hear from you. As for me, I am officially done discussing this matter. I want to go back to the important stuff. Like my hair color, and the chickens invading my yard.

No comments: