Ad

3/19/08

Guilt.

And behold. The Mormon Child Bride is wracked with guilt. (a true Nielson never misses an opportunity to feel guilt.)

I feel guilty for being so grumpish. I feel guilty that my Bridezilla post was too mean (It was just supposed to be a funny story!) Ohhhhhhhh the guilt.

To make up for my grumpishness, I am going to share an experience that made me feel happy beyond my usual 7 or 8 level of happiness (old readers will recognize that phrase from an earlier post.) This was a 10.

Last week I actually got to teach an English class. One of my old teacher's from high school let me sub her class, and because she knew I had studied English in college, let me take over her lesson plan.

This is the poem I taught for her poetry unit. (Do you remember this poem from High School? When I saw it on the lesson plan I was like "Oh Yeahhhh")

We Real Cool

The Pool Players
Seven at the Golden Shovel

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

This is an English major's dreeaaaaaam poem to teach. The alliteration! The sentence structure! And the enjambment. Referring to how the poem cuts sentences in half by placing the beginning in one line and the ending in the next.

In class we spent a long time talking about why this is significant, and the class decided it had to do with the fake "cockiness" the kids are presenting. They think they're real cool, but they pause after each "We" like they don't really know who they are. That perfect mix of insecurity and bravado.

And thus the Mormon Child Bride rejoiced. Because I got to talk about poetry and get paid to say the word "enjambment" over and over and over.......

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Steep! I totally remember that poem! Who did you sub for? Ps-you need to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. You're writing is a 10.

Lena said...

I do not remember that poem. But I was in really weird English classes. And my teachers were the ones teaching about 70's music and having us read the dictionary. AP was better. Anyway, I agree with Jess, best writing ever!

Rocky said...

I feel guilty for my feelings toward humanity also. I just told my lit class that I read to learn how to deal with the Aunt Norris's of the world.

Sarah said...

By the way I am posting as Rocky because I did hack into his account to change the layout of our blog. Dont tell.

Nik "the BoyWonder" said...

I love your Bridezilla post dont change anything!! And dont feel guilty