Ad

3/29/08

a series of thoughts.

Today my mother, while hiking, absentmindedly asked how World War One started. Dan answered with the quickie "Archduke assassination" spiel, while I followed up with my long spiel about all the alliances made previous to 1914 which eventually caused....

Did you start skimming? I bet you did. Just like I wasn't surprised when I turned around mid-spiel to find that my mother, husband, and brother had wandered off to climb up a rock.

I was not alarmed by this, but I was alarmed when I realized I am forgetting many of my World War I facts. I remembered staying up with my Dad once, explaining to him all the intricate details of the treaties and alliances, those ready little catalysts which sparked the most depressing-to-study-as-a-history-major-wars-of-all-time.

Four months out of college and I do not remember these things. I don't think it is really my fault, since there is really no place for me to utilize the things I studied in college. (That is why I am going to be a teacher, so when I start to explain things, people don't go climbing off onto rocks, at least not until the bell rings.) I mean, what career exists where my now lost knowledge of iambic pentameter, or the fact that I once knew the dates of each and every French revolution would come in handy? I have once fantasized about starting some kind of hot line, where people could call and ask me, "So, about the sentence structure in As I Lay Dying, what is that about?" But I do not believe this will make as much as a public school teacher, which is saying something.

To end this series of thoughts, I will tell you the one fact I remember vividly from my years as an undergraduate student.

Once, in my "Common Medicines" class, (I didn't want to take a real science class) my professor admitted that as a teenager, he developed large zits on his eyelids. He could not close his eyes until he popped them.

Sometimes, I can't believe I am taking out loans to further my education.

5 comments:

Lena said...

At least you have a plan for what to do with your education, lost or other wise. I am sitting here in a bank, thinking about how much I would rather be doing stained glass, if only that were a viable career for a woman my age....

Mar said...

I liked "As I Lay Dying" by the way.

mommy dearest said...

I ran into the elusive Mr. Gill today. He is emailing me his vocabulary list. woohoo

Rocky said...

Confession--I lay in wait for any question about wwi I can answer.

Ben said...

I'm totally in Common Medicines right now. And we talked about acne, only no one talked about eyelid acne. That's really gross.