Ad

11/15/08

in which i am less than understanding, per the usual.

Dude. I have to go into work soon, and I am having some serious anxiety/disgruntlement. Since the internet is my alternate form of group therapy- (like real group therapy, (I assume,) only free, won't get me black-listed by insurance companies (I hope,) and I get to delete all the comments I don't like.) I'm going to discuss my feelings here.

I have a co-worker who I generally really like, but she has the habit of throwing temper-tantrums when things don't go her way. (when she doesn't get the days off that she wants, isn't allowed to go home early, etc.) This would be amusing/acceptable if she were 4, but she is 20 years old.

I try not to engage with her crazy (because I did once, and it was awful,) but sometimes I feel like cornering her and being all SERIOUSLY. You're TWENTY FREAKING YEARS OLD. Not that getting married makes you smart or responsible or better, (dumb people get married all the time,) but by the time I was 20, I was married, preparing to graduate from the U, working nights, and learning how to co-run my new "family" with my spouse. I sure as hell wasn't pitching honest-to-goodness TANTRUMS because I didn't get to go home early from work because I was bored.

Anyway, yesterday was deadly slow and my boss determined that it was "my turn" to go home early. I happily accepted, but co-worker wasn't having any of it. She started tantruming and being all SHE NEVER WORKS! I WORK WAY MORE AND NEVER GET TO GO HOME. I HAVEN'T GONE HOME EARLY FOR 3 WEEKS.

(Except for the time last week when my boss sent her home 2 hours early because she needed to ahem, go #2, and couldn't do it in our restaurant. She can only do that at home, but anyway.)

I left them mid-tantrum, but I'm kinda freakin out about the aftermath today. What if she is still cranky? I'm terrified that she will extend her 4 yr. old behavior into 4 year old retaliation techniques. Like pulling my hair. Or biting me.

To top it off, Saturdays are the days that the elderly pooping ladies come in, and I just don't think I can handle the terror of the pooping ladies with terror of my non-pooping-at-work co-worker.

Good thing next week is my last week.

Thank you for your time. Thanks also for not billing me $200 an hour to tell you this.

15 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Just one more week . . . just one more week . . .

Jessica said...

She seriously said she couldn't poop in the bathroom at work? That's just messed up. The fact that she would even give that as a reason is fundamentally disturbing. Think of it as practice for dealing with 7th graders!

Becca said...

I read your blog and laughed so hard.

I think the best way to deal with the poop girl's retaliation/rage would be to tell her of all the amazing things you did when you went home early. And if all you did was go grocery shopping, elaborate. That was the best grocery shopping trip ever! And let her know how lucky you were you got to go and not her. 'Cause, hey you are only there another week anyway.

Kimbooly said...

I think $200 is pretty low. Course, I live in SoCal. I'm thinking you should send me a check for $350 for this nice little session of internet psychotherapy.

So, how does this post make you feel? (That question makes me a good psychologist, right? Good enough to deserve my $350)

Shellie said...

Your welcome! I hope you survived the day!

MandoRama said...

My Lord. Get the hell out of that place before you contract hepatitis A.

AzĂșcar said...

Can you passive aggressively ignore her?

That kind of behavior is beyond unacceptable. How did your boss not begin disciplinary steps? Sorry, repeats of that kind of behavior would have gotten my employees on their way to being fired.

Carley A. T. said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahah! Heh. Heh. Oh, man. Pooping. She is going to be so mad if she finds out about this post. Which is even better.

JustMe said...

Seriously, you only have ONE MORE WEEK! Because you have already given notice, this means you can say anything you want to your co-worker and probably get away with it. Don't attack her, but if she acts like a brat again, feel free to call her on it.

I have no respect for your boss. This girl should have been fired the first time she pitched a temper tantrum. It is completely unacceptable in the workplace (or at her age, in life) to be pitching fits.

Shelly Benson said...

When any four-year-old I know is throwing a tantrum, I can usually distract them with some M&M's. Or maybe you could make some brownies with Ex-Lax in them. Kill her with kindness, I say.

Mrs. Clark said...

I work with a woman who throws temper tantrums at work, and she's 52. I just try to be extra kind to her, because anyone who has those kinds of problems is seriously messed up. And where the H is your boss? (I'm still cheering for you for refusing to clean the bathroom.)

1216614478s21580 said...

She went home to poop? THAT IS HILARIOUS. She must have had to go bad if she was willing to say so. My goodness-- I would fake an illegitimate miscarriage first.

bonz said...

What a crazy ho.

Lena said...

Start mimicing her tantrums. That would be the best. And I agree with the suggestion to talk about all the fun things you did in your time off.

Bryan and Sarah said...

You are my favorite. So funny!