I do not do New Years resolutions. I mean that both ways. I do not make a list of resolutions, and therefore, I do not do anything on that non-existent list.
Why do I not make a list of goals intended to better myself? Because I know myself. I know that if I were to sit down each January and compile a list of things I ought to improve, I would,
1. Get depressed and feel like a failure. Unnecessarily, mind you.
2. Forget about the list the next day.
3. Find the list again later, feel guilty, throw the list away.
4. Never accomplish anything.
Because frankly, if I'm going to do something, and that's a pretty heady if, I'm going to do it because I want to, not because some ball dropped in Times Square.
However, I do like this idea, stolen gratuitously from Nemesis. Instead of a list of things to do, I shall compile a list of things I will not do. Much easier. Much less guilt. (Although I may steal the first of Nemesis' proposed resolutions, but call it a life goal instead.)
10 things I will NOT do in 2009. REPEAT REPEAT: NOT DO IN 2009. NOT. DO.
1. Stop drinking caffeine. Why ever would I stop? You are all aware that public school, in Utah, where I intend to teach, starts at 7:25 AM, correct?
2. Be chipper.
3. Stop snacking late at night. I should. But I won't.
4. Gain weight.
5. Apply for another advanced degree.
6. Edit my blog posts for spelling/grammatical errors in the same way I edit my thesis paper.
7. Get a family pet.
8. Get pregnant. There, I said it.
9. Run a marathon.
10. And while this one may be considered cheating, I will tell you one thing Spouseman will not be doing this year: Spouseman WILL NOT be growing anymore nasty blood clots in his legs which would require him to be hospitalized, ESPECIALLY on our wedding anniversary.
Feel free to share what you aren't doing in 2009.