Ad

2/4/09

Things That Give Me Anxiety, part 3,00569890

1. Ads during Channel 1 at school. If you didn't grow up with Channel 1, let me tell you what it is. Channel 1 is an allegedly teen-friendly 10 minute news program that airs in public school across the nation. Now see here, I LOVE Channel 1. It can be cheesy, but mostly it's a pretty decent way to keep teenagers caught up on world events. Plus, Anderson Cooper was one of the first broadcasters. Anyway, in our school, it is policy to watch Channel 1 at the beginning of any history class, including my own lovely American Government class. They get points for watching quietly.*

Here is where the anxiety comes in. Channel 1 has a lot of advertisements. And mostly, the ads are for good causes: scholarship websites, abusive relationship hot lines, etc. But sometimes there are ads for really violent/sexually graphic movies. Which my kids have to watch. I mean, I guess they could close their eyes, but seriously, it makes me anxious that I am telling kids they have to watch a program that may blast them with a very graphic ad for The Unborn horror movie at any moment. Anxiety.

Moving on.

2. Other ads for movies that promote bad behavior besides/ in addition to sex, drugs, satan, and violence. Specifically, movies that promote reckless spending and make me ashamed of my gender= ANXIETY.

(Note. The following movies were also advertised for during Channel 1)

Movie/Exhibit A: Bride Wars. Seriously? Did anyone go see it? In this time of economic woe did anyone go see a movie promoting two spoiled Manhattanites scrabbling over who could have a dream (read: expensive) wedding at the Plaza? If you saw it, did you resist the urge to vomit the whole time?

Also. How insulting. The idea that otherwise nice women, who are FRIENDS, no less, would be reduced to wild animal behavior over a wedding location=funny makes me....wait for it...anxious. The fact that I know it isn't all fiction= more anxious.

Honestly, I kind of want someone to email me and be all "YOUR ANXIETY WAS IN VAIN. Because actually, the Anne Hathaway character and the Kate Hudson character realize 15 minutes in that they are being idiots and donate all their wedding money to charity and have a double wedding and nice reception in a backyard somewhere and then they spend their honeymoons in Africa saving orphans"

But unless I get that email, I will continue being slightly perturbed/anxious about humanity.

Seriously.

Next film.

Movie/Exhibit B: Confessions of a Shopaholic. Now I've heard that the novels this movie is based on are actually quite charming. So why does it make me anxious? Because, basically, it is another movie about a spoiled Manhattanite, who gasp, fights with other women when she doesn't get the dream (read:expensive) shoes she wants. While the members of the audience fret over job security. And feel ashamed of their gender. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

And this concludes yet another fascinating episode of "Things That Give Me Anxiety."


*Not my policy, and I have some qualms, but it is the school policy and I am a powerless minion slave.

16 comments:

Kristen said...

Yeah I can't stomach the Bride Wars ads either and as for Confessions of a Shopaholic...I read all of the book but was super unimpressed. The main character is a financial disaster and never learns from her mistakes. The books were infuriating to read and I often found myself yelling "Why are you so stupid!!" on a regular basis.

I love Anne Hathaway and Isla Fisher (I could do without Kate Hudson) so it makes me sad that they'd make such crappy, ridiculous stereotypical movies. Ugh.

Also I feel kind of gypped that I never got (had?) to watch Channel 1 in high school. I'm all about Anderson Cooper. Yum.

Carolyn said...

I remember channel. I used to have a crush on Anderson Cooper.

Remember him?

Love the blog...I am a new random person who was looking for something to read.

Thanks for posting.

Michelle said...

i remember watching channel 1 in high school. maria menudos from E! was on it then ...

i don't remember it having any heinous movies ads back then though ... it was 7 years ago, so i could be wrong.

Annette Lyon said...

Wow. I had no idea what gems my son was getting at school.

Rachel said...

I swear I'm not a mean commenter person. You brought back so many high school memories! Ahh, good ol' channel 1. Who could forget Lisa Ling?

Melissapher said...

I remember watching Ch 1 in M. É's class.

We just giggled and chatted through the whole thing.

Lisa Louise said...

i'm a totaly sucker for movies that take place in NYC, however I totally see your point! And yuck to channel 1 adds, there are more adds than there is news!

Shar said...

Never watched Channel 1 in high school, but from what you say... I didn't miss much.

And since I don't pay for movies (I sleep with the boss), I went and saw Bride Wars. It was better than I had expected. But I keep my expectations super low when I see movies like that.

Nells-Bells said...

channel 1 was the best. i hope anderson cooper never forgets his roots!! :)

meagan said...

I totally forgot about Anderson Cooper! Okay, you may have just restored some of my faith in Channel One. I associated it with Maria Menounos when she said Access Hollywood was a step up. Speaking of pointless television....

amanda said...

"part 3,00569890" haha...

things that give me anxiety:
-wedding planning
-travel visa applications
-the US postal service

Mrs. Clark said...

WHAAT! I would be seriously irritated if my child were being exposed to this stuff in the name of education. Channel 1 should have no ads at all!

And I also read the Shopaholic books. At no time does the Londoner in the books (they're not set in Manhattan) fight with anybody over shoes. She uses them as a bargaining chip to buy a house, but she never actually fights with anyone.

The books are fluff and Becky, the heroine, is a ditz, but they're a nice escapist read. Same with the Little Lady Agency books.

"Bride Wars" didn't appeal to me either, although it is plausible that two otherwise nice women would go Bridezilla over their special day. My friend's daughter did, only to realize how stupid it was to spend $60,000 on a wedding less than a year later (when she wanted to buy a house and some furniture.) (Great story. Her parents ultimately refused to spend over their budget, angering the big-spender bride, so they ended up not paying for anything. The couple and the groom's rich family ponied up.) MWAHAHA!

Lindsey said...

i completely agree. i don't think i ever watched a complete channel 1 for this exact reason--the ads were awful! and yes, it is anxiety. it must be a wright thing...

Michemily said...

So I just found your blog and I love it. Nice jorb.

Scully said...

So glad someone else a) remembers Channel 1 and 2) that Anderson Cooper got his start there. Very few people believe me. And as a future teacher, I understand all those anxieties!

Brooke said...

This made me anxious. Seriously, the jittered-foot-tapping hasn't stopped.