Ad

4/23/09

let us clarify a few things

Miss California (yes, I am talking about the Miss USA Competition)

Did not answer "that question"* eloquently.

Now, I don't know much about beauty pageants, and all I've seen is the infamous gay marriage clip, and a bunch of post-clip commentary, but honestly, I think it is a little silly when people insist she should have won, because her answer was so "articulate" and "eloquent."*

Um, guys, she said she "believes in opposite marriage." What the heck is opposite marriage? Does that mean we are all married to our opposite? (I sort of am, but are the rest of you?)

*Now before anyone gets all antsy, let's clear up a few things.

1. I am not trying to start a pro/anti gay marriage debate. Miss California has the right to believe in whatever she likes, and she's brave to stand up for her beliefs (however strangely expressed) on TV while wearing a dress that looks like a dead swan.

2. Did she probably forfeit her crown because her answer wasn't politically correct? Maybe. But I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that she made up a phrase that didn't exist, and really, didn't make very much sense. (And because that other chick won the swimsuit and ball gown part of the competition.)

Either way, commend her for her bravery, disagree with her politically, but whatever you do, let's drop the whole "articulate and eloquent" act.

Unless, as, as Jimmy Kimmel noted, you would like wedding vows to read along the lines of

"I take this opposite to be my lawfully wedded husband..."




And we wonder why I'm struggling to finish my homework.....

15 comments:

b. said...

Good point.

(married to my opposite too)

~j. said...

I love you.

Even though we're sames.

Becca said...

I think the line "in my country" was pretty awesome. I wasn't aware that California was its own country. Maybe that's why she can't be Miss USA. You gotta admit, opposite marriage sounds sort of like its the opposite of 'real' or 'regular' marriage.

lindsey said...

you are hilarious.

this is my two sense...

who cares what she thinks!!!

;)

megs said...

i haven't heard about this but i'm going to you tube it... now

i'm marrying my opposite... really. but no, not everyone does.

i believe in opposite marriage! nice going miss ca

Kristen said...

Agreed. Not only did she not really answer the question, but she was really inarticulate. It wasn't quite as bad as the girl from the pageant last year ("some people don't have maps, like, such as the Iraq & South Africa") but come on, California is a country and we have the choice between gay marriage and opposite marriage? Regardless of her political views, she's an idiot.

That said, none of the Trump pageants are about brains. They don't bill themselves as scholarship pageants like Miss America and it's pretty obvious that all you have to do to win is be pretty and know how to walk in heels.

stewbert said...

I haven't even watched it because I thought the whole debate was stupid anyway. Plus, I've never seen a beauty pageant contestant be all that "intelligent and articulate and eloquent" with those surprise questions like that...

amelia said...

The other thing that pisses me off about this whole "She stuck to her opinion and was so eloquent" debate? She started her opinion off with "I think I believe." Come on honey, you don't know what you believe? You "think" that's your answer?

(Love your blog. Delurking.)

JustMe said...

I'm really pissed about the whole thing. It has knocked octi-mom off the radar screen. Come one people, let's not forget what's really important. Clearly, marriage is no longer necessary. We only needed men for babies and now octi-mom has more than proved we no longer need them - just the sperm.

Stay on track!

Crazy Walker said...

I also commend her for her bravery (in the face of Perez, no less), and think that a lot of people were over reacting to her response (Perez...I really am not liking that guy). But, I have to whole-heartedly agree with you that for a beauty pageant she wasn't really "classy" or "eloquent", in fact, she didn't even sound very coherent. I really did cringe when she said, "in my country...where I'm from". Yeah...you could tell she was stumbling a bit.

The Boob Nazi said...

Don't they always sound slightly stupid? Like they're trying to sound smart but it never comes off that way? Such as Miss North Carolina. (Oh wait, that actually works.... minus the whole sentence fragment thing.)
I personally don't think the question should have been asked. Perez was just trying to promote himself by stirring up controversy because it would have no matter what her answer was, don't you think?

Stephanie said...

seriously. good points one and all. i realized though, as several of you mentioned, that trying to find reason in the miss usa contest is, well, impossible. so my whole post is sorta moot. oh well!

and i hate perez. i used to love him (my name is stephanie, and i'm addicted to stupid crap) but i just can't stand him anymore. whole different post....

gurrbonzo said...

Whatever.

somethinggirl said...

I haven't even finished reading this but had to comment to say YES!!!!!!!! I said the same thing on someone's Facebook thread and no one agreed with me and I'm so tired (lately) of being the only person on my blog who agrees with me so I decided not to say anything there.

"Opposite marriage"-- wha?! I know she must have been nervous and all but since when is "opposite marriage" a phrase that's sweeping the nation?

MT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.