Ad

8/30/09

the kind of Mormon I am (a thought for Sunday)

Sometimes, non-Mormon people are surprised I am Mormon.

Because I am very, very, liberal. Because of the way I occasionally dress.(But you don't dress like a Mormon!) Because I have a penchant for the irreverent, occasionally.


I decided to tell them, That is just the kind of Mormon I am.

Sometimes, Mormon people are surprised I am Mormon.

Because I am very, very, liberal. Because of the way I occasionally dress (Mormons can wear all black.) Because I have a penchant for the irreverent, occasionally.


That is just the kind of Mormon I am.

Sometimes, I am surprised I am still Mormon.

But only because I am very, very, liberal, and irreverent.

And because sometimes, something happens. Sometimes I am reminded of something, in my Church, (but not within my doctrine, mind you,) that strikes me as not quite right.

If you know me, you might know what those things are, those things that tug at my soul, and force me to ask myself Why am I in this Church?

Because things change. Oftentimes, it is my heart that changes. That softens. And I am at peace with God. And his Doctrine. And his Church.

But sometimes the church changes. (Again, not the doctrine, but the church.)

Don't believe me?

The Women were organized, and thus the Church was fully organized.

African Americans were granted the Priesthood.

Girls in The Strength of Youth are no longer warned against the perils of wearing hair-rollers at the grocery store. Now we are warned about the perils of the internet.

I change. The Church changes. The World Changes. We change.

But the doctrine does not. The good news stays the same, and perfect. But if the doctrine is perfect, why isn't the Church?

Because it is run by humans. And even the divinely inspired are still human. I imagine that we do a lot of things right.

But I also imagine that when everyone is in heaven, and God reviews our progress, it will be a lot like when my earthly father reviews the less-than-perfect work of one of his children. Look, I love you to death, but..............

But you didn't get that one part right.


So things change. And whenever I feel frustrated, I am reminded, with a still and quiet voice. Wait. Things Change.

And I want to be there when it happens.


That is just the kind of Mormon I am.

27 comments:

AzĂșcar said...

Really good post, Stephanie. Really good.

MrsM said...

I can completely understand where you're coming from (though I myself am not Mormon). It's pretty much the reason we don't go to church. We're Christian, but we don't believe in a lot of the church policies so instead we stay home and read the Bible ourselves. Works for us.

Still, people are often surprised when I say that I am a faithful Christian because I don't go to church/because I wear black/because I'm Libertarian etc. I just figure that God moves people to different forms of worship, and just because someone else doesn't feel that they could be faithful to God outside of a church building doesn't mean that I must feel the same way.

James McOmber said...

AH! Thank you, Steeps. You took the words right out my mouf. Very beautifully said.

James McOmber said...

Parenthetically, this was the toothpaste comic on my birthday (you will very much appreciate it):

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/082409/constitutional-hipsters.gif

Brandi said...

You've put into words exactly how I feel.

I get a lot of flak about not being a "good Mormon" over silly things, and I too wonder why I am in this church. And then I remember all the things that you've just said (quite eloquently, I might add).

~Brandi

JustMe said...

Perfect!

Nicole said...

You could not possibly have expressed my own feelings better.

I actually just up and quit all of it for about 2 years because I was so frustrated by a few things in the church. I'm guessing they are probably many of the things you are referencing.

But I'm back now, and I too was finally able to be at peace in the church, despite all the things I have to pretend I didn't hear coming from the mouths of the members.

I'll quit rambling. This post was awesome though.

~j. said...

Can we meet so that we can be actual best friends instead of just best friends in my mind?

CaitStClair | A Peachy Bride said...

Fantastic post!

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Great post. I think we're the same kind of Mormon. :)

The Boob Nazi said...

I'm more non than not. But I did find out that Martin Luther, who, obviously, is a famed man for his reformation, wrote a treatise called "The Jews and their lies." That makes me feel better about certain policies our church has had in the past. Cough polygamy cough.

NIKOL said...

That's the kind of Mormon I am, too. Great post.

Rowboat said...

i agree with you as well. i'm glad you wrote this. i think many mormons want things like this to be spoken aloud and not kept behind closed doors. it helps me to go to church knowing there are other people who are also not completely buying into the mormon culture.

Hillary said...

Amen. It's hard to be told you're not Mormon enough by fellow members, or told you shouldn't be a member by (rightfully) angry non-members. There is a balance, though, and I'm glad others are trying to find it too.

Jen, RN said...

Amen!

Ash said...

I have to tell you i love this post. love it. love it. I feel so much the same!

Ash said...

I have to tell you i love this post. love it. love it. I feel so much the same!

Rynell said...

I loved this post. I feel the same way!

Lena said...

Amen MCB.

kiwibabee said...

my husband works for the church, talk about an eye opener. it just proves to me once again, that the church is true, because it would have gone under along time ago if it wasn't. You also need to have a strong testimony working for the church. You need to remind yourself daily that "the church is true".

Little Fish said...

I LOVE this post!! Why are people so judgemental about other people's religion. The majority of us, no matter what religion we practice, have issues with our denomonations and don't agree with every single thing.

When I was in college it was the first time I met some people who had actually never met a Jew before. They'd say to me, "If you're Jewish how come you don't keep kosher?" My response was alway, "You're [Catholic, Christian] right? How's that whole 'no premarital sex' thing working out for you?" That gave them something to chew on :)

Sue said...

I'm right there with you. Thanks for posting this.

Lacy E. (as in Eloise, formerly Lee) said...

I was so having an exacerbated feminist moment this weekend. Not that this post was about feminism, per say, but I feel like it was graciously dropped in my path. Loved it. Thank you.

Abigail said...

You are the best. I loved reading this and can relate. Your blog makes me smile whenever I read it. Thanks for being an awesome writer. You really should have a column or something. A blog isn't doing you justice. And since my sister is on London, should I ask her to look for your argyle sweater? ;)

Stephanie said...

baaa! abigail! it is so nice to hear from you! email me sometime, i need your number again (i keep breaking my phone= lost numbers.)

The Red Pen said...

People are going to get in trouble for plagiarizing because we all just want to second this! I second the hell out of it. Squirming at your perfection, as always.

andrea.roche said...

I am NOT liberal. I don't wear all black. And to some (who don't know me) I might seem "stereotypical" mormon; however, this post rings so true to me. I find it very powerful. You are a freakin good writer.