Ad

10/20/09

frackity frack mcfrackerston.

Man, I really love the word + mc combo, don't I.

Previous examples:

Comment McCommentster (that girl in class who would never SHUT UP.)

ranty rant mcranterston

and my personal favorite, judgey mcjudgerston. This one can be a noun (as in a title of a person,) or, the way I usually employ it, as an adjective, "She was being totally judgey mcjudgerston at me."*


In other news, subbing today totally sucked. I hate subbing, but I feel obligated to do it since I only teach every other day. (Remember the block schedule? I teach on B days.) Anyway, today I subbed at a junior high, and the teacher DID NOT LEAVE ANY LESSON PLANS. Just a classroom full of hyper 7th graders who were very inclined to throw things at each-other, and also wrestle.

I managed to find a video, and make up some random assignments, but still, freaking teachers, LEAVE PLANS.


Not worth the 9 am sleep in. Not at all.


Also, seventh graders are tiny, tiny, creatures. They remind me of gremlins.


In other news, I am really tired of people (fellow bloggers, the media, society, insert scapegoat here, ________) telling me what I do and do not like based on my gender. Lines such as "I love __________ because it makes me feel like a woman." or "My husband does ___________ and it is so manly."

Sigh. I hate to sound like your Gender Studies 101 professor, but sex is biological, gender is a social construct. In other words, we make this crap up. We say girls wear pink and boys wear blue, and girls like to bake, and boys like to shoot things, and all of it is bull crap. You like pink because you like pink (or because our culture tells you that you like pink, ) not because you have a vagina.

And don't even comment telling me that there are differences between men and women that wire women to like baking, and men to like shooting. I acknowledge that men and women are both psychologically and physically different. I simply don't agree with (or understand the desire to,) genderize things like colors, activities, professions, or feelings. ("Men aren't nurturing**" being my most rage-inducing typically gendered feeling.)


That is all for today, class. Remember the midterm next Friday.












*Shout out to James, who I believed witnessed the birth of that particular linguistic gem.

** Have you met Dan? He is an entirely more competent human being when it comes to nurturing. I, on the other hand, have way to much rage to nurture effectively.

15 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Dude. Wait till you have kids (I'm sure you love that line too, right?).

My daughters continually amaze me by liking girly things that I have never even thought of liking. No one ever told them they should like pink or princesses or ponies or dress-up. But they do.

Stephanie said...

I love that line as much as I suspect you'll like this one:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

1. In your case (they like pink when no one told them to,) I think it is possible that your daughters like those things because THEY do. (Hence my line, you like pink because YOU like pink, not because you are biologically determined to like pink (have a vagina.) Something about princesses and pink might speak to their individual personalities, not their genders.

2. I think we underestimate how strongly our culture provides gender roles for children. You may not have ever thought to like ponies or dress-ups, but that doesn't mean kids don't have teachers, friends, church leaders, or other influences telling them that girls like one thing, and boys like another.

It could go either well. But hell, what do I know, being childless and all. :)

Stephanie said...

*way, not well

Brooke said...

I took this completely amazing and awesome journalism course where for nine weeks we watched kids' shows and picked them apart based on the messages they told about gender and violence. Scary. Fun class for me. Not so much for future children. Sorry kids!! No commercial television for you. =) Boys were never shown as nurturing unless they were the weak "picked-on" character and girls couldn't be the heroine unless they were also mean and domineering. Sad day.

Hilary said...

We call our 18 lb 17-month old Shrimpy McBaby.

The Boob Nazi said...

My favorite is McGee. Like Stupid McStupid McGee. Or just McGee in any form.

Melinda said...

Gremlins. Such an astute observation. Do you think they would become evil if you fed them after midnight? Just wonderin'.

Di said...

I am also a word + mc combo-er.

And I like your gender rant. It made me all happy inside. I have too few voices like you around. Even if you are only a blogger who I don't know in real life.

For whatever reason, the OpenID thing is sucking, so for purposes of that I like when people leave a link for me, this is Di from lifeofdi.wordpress.com.

jnyfritz said...

thank you miss mcfrackerston! i just spent an entire evening class for american studies talking about gender and how things become gendered almost to the point where i wanted my head to explode! i think my favorite thing is when my husband (only slightly) freaks out that his son is TOTALLY into project runway.

Lena said...

See, now everyone told me I should like dolls, and dresses and hair bows. But I didn't as a child. And it drove my mom crazy. I had two brothers, so I liked what they would play with me, for a very long time.

Now I feel "like a woman" when I wear a great structured jacket or high heels. But I will admit it was all better when I had hair...

Julie said...

Amen on the gender thing.

Case in point: I love to shoot. Rob sucks at shooting. Rob likes to cook. I hate to cook.

James McOmber said...

Was Judgy McJudgerston about who I think it was about (coughyoureabadexamplecough)?

Also, I like McGee too (hi Julie). In Mrs. McOmber's class (yes, real name, remember her?) I once signed an assignment "BigBalls McGee". I have no idea why. I think she found it funny, though.

Stephanie said...

yes james, it was. she was also the person mentioned in the "byu is the only school" post

Mrs. Clark said...

MCB, I too believed all you said. Until I had children of both sexes.

This is the best example of what I mean: Jane Pauley (three kids) was interviewing Marlo Thomas (no kids) on the Today show (a long time ago). Marlo was talking about Free to Be You and Me. She went on and on about the way our society assigns sex roles to kids. Jane merely answered, "Well, all I know is no girl ever pointed at me across the kitchen table with a piece of green pepper and said, 'Bang bang, you're dead.'"

But men can be and often are nurturing! And women can be and often are good carpenters!

Stephanie said...

mrs. clark, just because it never happened to jane, doesn't mean it never happened to others.

like my mom.

but my sister didn't use a green pepper, she used a baribie.