Ad

10/13/09

not-grading

Hi! I'm so excited for fall! Fall is my favorite because I can wear boots! And Sweaters! I love leaves! Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Decorations!

Oh. I'm sorry. Wrong Blog.


Sheeesh.

Anyway. I think I do a decent-enough job planning interesting lessons for my students. But I am fairly miserable about grading everything and entering it on the computer. I hate it. And I think keeping track of participation points is lame.


At lunch today, my department chair mentioned that in her 34 years of teaching, she has only met one teacher who was completely devoted to each of her classes, and each of her students. Said teacher was a middle-aged single woman who stayed at the school until 6 pm every night.


Crap.


I get annoyed when people imply I want to teach because something else didn't work out. For me, teaching was never the back-up plan. I decided to do this at age 16. This, the TEACHING is the plan.

So I will take every opportunity to do so. Even faker temporary teaching.


However, I am starting to realize that if next year there are still no jobs, I will have to do something else. This is hard to fathom when you have had a PLAN, the SAME PLAN since age 16.

What should I do?

14 comments:

amanda said...

when you figure that out, let me know.

AzĂșcar said...

We had a conversation about this topic today. If the situation continues to be untenable, what will my husband do? He's wanted to teach for years, yet encounters resistance, stupidity, and inefficiencies at every turn.

The Boob Nazi said...

Umm... I love fall because of boots, sweaters, leaves, decorations.

But you can mock me. I'm okay with that.

Crazy Walker said...

Hmm, my first ideas are:

*Scrapbook maker (As per your skillz from enrichment that one night)
*Young Adult Novel Critic
*A judge on "America's Next Top Author"

or, I'd recommend something in editing, journalism, or motivational speaker.

I hear Del Schanze is looking for a defense attorney. There's always law school! :)

Brandi said...

Become foster parents to a few kids and home school the crap out of them.

Femme Facetious said...

I'm 27 years old and still haven't figured it out yet.

At this point, I would even pay someone to tell me. When I was 16, I thought that's what college was for, but apparently not :D

p.s. Who would have thought it would be this hard to be a teacher? Teaching always seemed like one of those professions in constant shortage...

Carley A. T. said...

This will sound horrible... but if there are still no jobs next year you should have a baby.

That's what I did for this year, I had a baby just so that when people ask me what I'm doing with my degree I can say "I'm a mom."

That flies over really well here in Utah.

Talina said...

Amen, Boob Nazi.

And I understand the wanting to teach thing. I went another route and I STILL yearn to teach. I've been tutoring and subbing (sp?) for night classes every chance I get. There is just something about explaining an idea and seeing the light go on in someone's eyes that is incredibly fulfilling.
And I get a bit of a high from being in front of a crowd and them all marveling at my genius. . . but I like to think my motivation is selfless.
Good luck in the job pursuit!

Brooke said...

Another degree!!

Piper said...

You do not know me, but that's okay. This post reminded me of what I have been thinking lately, and it goes along these lines, "Hmmm, what is an easy way to make money without taking a whole lot of time. Too bad I can't sell my body... OH, I know, I could donate plasma..." It's too bad that doesn't fulfill anyone's life goals.

Mrs. Clark said...

Move to a different state. I tell ya, Virginia would take you in a heartbeat. Spouseman could come along, too.

Maree said...

Amen Talina!

I think it's horrible when people who WANT to teach are not able to--especially when there are LOTS of teachers who don't TEACH. They just put in the time until retirement. I loved teaching, but I had to retire when the teaching took a back seat to the test scores and pandering to parents of lazy students.

Melinda said...

Good question. I love teaching, but at least once a week I wonder how long I'll have a job. I'm thinking of being a waitress. I understand "anyone can do that" too.

turleybenson said...

The first part of your post is funny because...I sort of suspect you have "another" blog. I'm new here--has anyone ever asked you that?

It seems more than plausible. And if that is the case, you can definitely count that as a paying job. :)