Ad

11/30/09

don't i know you from the cinematographer's party?

I love me some Paul Simon. I really do. And I'm not even leaving a judging space for that.

I had a really nice Thanksgiving. Did you? Thanksgiving with my Mom's family is always awesome because my relatives always bring randoms. This year my aunt brought her old babysitter from ten years ago when they lived in Kansas.

Babysitter friend and I bonded, because we both recently found ourselves college-educated and underemployed in our respective fields. Except Babysitter friend had a much better attitude than I did. She told me that she just had faith that something would work out, and she ended up working at Borders for awhile. She ended up making good friends, one of whom joined the LDS church, which is neat. Compared to my hectic impatience to land the perfect job, she seemed calm, and much happier.

I rarely like to verbalize any level of Mormon Guilt on the internet, because unintentional or not, it tends** to sound preachy, (i.e. "I had this magnificent revelation reading the scriptures, and I felt I needed to share my new found righteousness with those of you still struggling,") but I will say that I was reminded of a few things while talking to Babysitter friend:

1. My time schedule isn't always God's time schedule, but his is better.

2. What if there is something I am supposed to be doing right now, but am not, because I am so frantic to change the currently unchangeable.


About then, my little cousin Jane threw a roll at me, and said "I GOT YOU THAT WAS A GRENADE." Which reminded me of some of the comments on this* post. So I'd like to add the just described scenario to the discussion. Then again, Jane truly believes she is "Half Snow Leopard Half Cheetah," so I don't know, maybe the point is moot.



Random fact: I never use the drive-through window at banks. I don't like it. I don't know why. But I always go in and wait with the old people instead.


Does anyone else have random things they won't do for no reason? Or am I alone?
























(note: asterisks are backwards today.)
*That's a link.

**"Tends to" and "Always" are not the same.

11 comments:

Aunt Spicy said...

Thanks! seriously. I think I am going to borrow your magnificent revelation for the day!

Brooke said...

I won't go into Wal-Mart alone. Hyperventilation and panic ensues. It's often the only place you can find people out and about after dark in small town Tennessee, so most of my mission was spent stalking people in their cars in the parking lot or in the milk aisle to hand them pass-along cards. I think I was more scared than most the people I approached. Now it just doesn't feel right to enter without a "companion."

Genavee said...

Any story that concludes with roll grenades tends not to come across as preachy to semi-anonymous blog stalkers.

It's a good thing to keep in mind generally, but the roll grenade is what seals the deal for me.

Lena said...

I am the same way at banks. I mean, before I started working at one. I always went inside.

Jessica said...

Who am I to blow against the wind?

jnyfritz said...

that is one of my favorite all time albums!!!!! and yes i said album because my dad had the record, you know, the big round black thing! the thing i do is the majority of the time, when i am driving, 9 times out of 10 i will turn right, even turning left is a better way...perhaps i should work for fedex!

Mrs. Clark said...

This is really very naughty, but I won't sustain anybody into the ward (when their records are read in) unless I have seen their faces at least once. If they never darken the door, I'm not raising my hand. My husband thinks this is funny-as did our former bishop (a close friend) who ALWAYS grinned at me from the stand when someone's records were read in.

I also will not eat at Denny's, IHOP, Old Country Buffet, Ponderosa, or Chuck Wagon. I hate "all you can eat" places because the food is pretty bad and I never eat enough to warrant the price. Denny's and IHOP are just gross.

As for being upset about your work situation: That's okay. Don't go looking for a lesson, necessarily, in every little thing. I had cancer. It sucked. I didn't learn anything inspirational or life-altering. Just that I never want to have cancer again.

Stephanie said...

i don't always (read: never) look for a lesson, but this one was important.

aaaaaaaaaaand i think i shall adopt the no hand raising unless i am aware the person exists policy.

Spencer said...

I won't read War and Peace. I don't have the attention span. The end.

Jill said...

I won't light matches under any circumstance. I didn't have electricity once and I called my neighbor to come light a candle for me. BTW, I seriously love the name of this blog. Hilarious. I should start polygamydescendant.blogspot.com

Sarah E. Reynolds said...

Something I will NOT do: eat gravy. Every time I've tried it, it's gone down the wrong pipe and I've hacked it up for the next 5 minutes. Could the problem be with me, and not the gravy? Sure. Am I going to change my ways? No.