Ad

8/4/10

The second dumbest argument I've ever heard, ever.*

"I hate it when teachers complain about low pay, they knew what they were getting into when they became teachers."



Not to be overly dramatic, or claim that the situations are the same....oh, to hell with it, let's be dramatic. It is the internet, after all.


But Rosa Parks knew what she was getting into when she sat down in the front of the bus.

Martin Luther knew what he was getting into when he nailed 95 Thesis to the door of the church.

Alice Paul knew what she was getting into when she picketed the White House during wartime.


As long as complaining leads to making the world a better place, I think we should keep doing it.

I'm a teacher, I knew what I was getting into, and you should pay me (and public education, in general,) more.















*If you know me, you know what I think the dumbest argument ever is, and you know I don't want to talk about it online, because it contradicts people with large followings of stupid people. Maybe another day.

9 comments:

The Boob Nazi said...

STOP COMPLAINING. YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GETTING INTO!!!!!!!!!

{B} said...

I completely agree with you. Teachers know what they are getting into (if not, they are naive) but the reward is 10 fold even if its not monetary. When I worked with the afterschool kids it was the most appreciated, loved, and happy I had felt in years. Teaching is mentally/emotional rewarding. Yes, teachers should be paid more because they deserve it. Maybe if they made 3 pointers they could make 3 million a year ;)

Becky said...

I agree with you. I think that teachers should be paid WAY more. After all, you have our future in your hands.

Catherine said...

So if I complain about unions, specifically the teachers' union, will it lead to a better world?

Stephanie said...

@Catherine- it depends, what is the nature of your complaint?

SammyStewart said...

I have a complaint about teachers unions!

I think it's stupid when unions turn into bully mafia groups that do everything short of throwing flaming turd bricks through the windows of the teachers that don't want to join.

Catherine said...

I was starting to list my complaints and wanted to include a couple of stats to back up my thoughts. I googled teachers unions and ran across this site: http://teachersunionexposed.com. I was surprised to find all of my complaints summarized in one website with facts, figures, and examples. If you click under "info for teachers" you'll find a benefit of unions listed--and that is the liability insurance. Which is why in my LBK (life before kids) I was a member of the NEA. I wish I would've been more diligent and sought out the non-union associations to purchase that insurance but at risk of giving away my age, my years of teaching were right at the beginning of the internet age and the info was not a couple clicks away. And you can bet the union didn't give up that information. I also taught in UT where most teachers are amazing and despite the low pay and low amount per student spent, the students do fairly well. So to summarize, complaining to legislators about school funding will only go so far. I think a more productive complaint would be the rank and file teachers complaining about the union and the way they do business. Then perhaps the good teachers can start getting the pay they deserve. Thanks for letting me rant. I enjoy your blog and you can see this hit a nerve for me :)

Sharon said...

I knew what I was getting myself into, too. And I knew they weren't going to pay me enough. It doesn't stop me from railing about it.

Also...you must divulge your favorite argument. Please. I get headaches if I don't know things. Know that you're the cause of my insomnia tonight as I enumerate the possible topics.

Stephanie said...

sharon, if you email me, i will divulge all my secrets. mormonchildbride(at)gmail(dot)com