Ad

3/30/11

well. look at that.

Interwebs! Did you know I am famous? More specifically, did you know that according to City Weekly, I have the "Best (Sane) Mormon Blog" of 2011?

Here is a link.

But more importantly, here is the super nice stuff they said about me, direct from the source. Always trying to minimize the clicks.

"No, this isn’t a blog about polygamy, and there are no cookie recipes or photos of place settings or children, either. Rather, the author, Stephanie—a devout Mormon who’s a liberal, a feminist and a teacher—blogs about her faith, her frustration with closed-minded members of her church, being an educator and, occasionally, the TV/books that she likes/hates. It’s an always-revealing and often funny glimpse inside the mind of someone who speaks up for gay marriage, feminism and faith in God, eliciting praise and verbal stonings from all sides. As the sidebar on her blog says, “I’m either a complete apostate Mormon, or I’m just saying what we are all thinking.” Let’s hope it’s the latter, and that others start speaking up."



Of course, this has increased my already inflated ego to planetary proportions.



So I called my Dad, who told me he was proud of me. "Now every homeless guy who looks at the ads for cheap lingerie can read your blog."



I'll have you know, father, that my little blurb is next to an ad for a weight-loss supplement, and a DUI lawyer.



Then I called my Mom, who said I immediately needed to blog about something interesting, because my last few blogs suck. She recommends my post about the Cessation of Suffering. I recommend searching for anything I've written about Jack Weyland. Just Saying.



When my brother read the part about being a "liberal, feminist, and a teacher," he looked at me, and with nary a trace of irony on his face, proclaimed, " they basically think you're a failure." Thanks, Grant.





Anyway, thanks City Weekly, for making me sound a lot cooler than I am, and being nicer than my family.







ps: Thanks to my reader friend di for telling me about my great accomplishment (Sane! Mormon! Revealing!). I had no idea.

18 comments:

Ashley said...

Congratulations! I love your blog for all the descriptions they listed in that article.

lindsey said...

This is AWESOME. Congrats!

mommy dearest said...

You forgot to mention that Grandma Lei cried when she heard the news. I think she was happy that you are considered sane.

Genavee said...

Huzzah!

Ru said...

!!!!!!!!!!!! That's so awesome! And yes, all those !'s were necessary. :)

Lena said...

Wow Steph! Way to be validated! I wish I read City Weekly. Maybe I will go out and get a copy just so I can show it to all my friends. Hey, I know this girl.

Andrew and Becca said...

Uh oh. Now that everybody knows about you, I'm going to have to stop reading and search for something more obscure, so when my hipster friends ask me about the blogs I read I can smugly reply "you've probably never heard of it."

Ryan said...

As an employee of your father who, admittedly, frequently peruses ads for cheap lingerie, I saw that in the City Weekly and was so doggone proud. Way to go.

Flor said...

yay for another sane mormon mommy ;-) your newest follower...
http://FlorecitaGrowingUp.Com

megan said...

I'm really glad you don't post about your cats.

Also, I read Weyland's A New Dawn when I was a teen with big dreams of my future career. Imagine my confusion and disappointment when the main female character, a physics prodigy, figures out that the only way to be truly happy was to give it all up for good in order to get married - apparently it's only one or the other. Not quite the message to be sending to our teen girls.

Congrats on being famous!

Spencer S. said...

Way to be, Steph! Best Feminist Mormon blogger I know...well, the only one really.

hoistgrace said...

woowooo!

Jane said...

It's a very accurate award, deary! I'm not a Mormon anymore, but I grew up in Utah and relate to a lot of your posts and admire your blogging style. Congratulations!

Mrs. Clark said...

Woo hoo! You go! And you deserve it! I'm another Weyland non-fan. I actually saw him signing books at the BYU Bookstore several years ago and got out of there fast. Charly is one of the worst books I've ever read.

gurrbonzo said...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??? CAN I GET A HELL YEAH??

Stephanie said...

@gurr. HELL YEAH.

when i say mormon, you say childbride!

Reese Dixon said...

Hi Stephanie! I wish I had thought to drop you a line sooner so we could have met up at the party. I'm always thrilled when us poor Mormon feminists get a little recognition. Congrats!

Julie said...

Awesome!