Ad

7/28/11

i can't decide if lyla is a mediocre actor, or a mediocre character....

Confession: I usually skip out on The Bachelor or The Bachelorette after the hometown dates. It is just boring after all the crazies go home, and everyone pretends to be nice, and that they really are falling in love. I do however, love the "Women/Men Tell All," because the crazies come back. I also feel like the show gets boring after the hometowns because there are simply not enough people to participate in the insane dates that have nothing to do with building relationships. Wrestling! Boat racing! Gathering of a suitable dowry! Ritual animal sacrifices! You aren't really ready and open for love unless you are willing to face your fears of paganism! Okay, I'm exaggerating. I told you the show gets boring....


Tangent: My sister Laura and I were recently discussing lame excuses people use to justify bad behavior. Things like "I didn't know you felt that way," after being called out for saying something insulting. This excuse implies that most people don't feel bad when being treating poorly, being insulted, etc., and that you are sort of crazy for being upset.

Similar, and used frequently on the internet, is the "I didn't understand the context" excuse. Oh, I didn't know this wasn't a site for insulting the writer, my bad! This excuse implies that the behavior is somehow okay in other contexts, and that the bad behavior was simply a mistake.

I never buy this particular excuse, but my sister said it best with this analogy: "Claiming they didn't understand the context is like saying 'Sorry I pooped on your face, I didn't realize your head wasn't a toilet.' No. Not okay."

Helpful hint for online interactions: there isn't really a context in which face pooping is okay, or nasty online comments.


Obsession: After a disappointing run with watching Make it or Break it on Netflix, I decided Friday Night Lights would be my summer show of choice. Best decision ever. Matt pretending to be his Grandpa to calm down his elderly Grandma! Anything Landry! Tim Riggins! Tami Taylor!

In fact, I think Tami is my favorite character. Behold her response to a whiner student caught cheating:

"It's my job to make sure you don't grow up stupid. It's bad for the world."

Can I commandeer that for my own personal use? Also, "Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!"








Any confessions, tangents, or obsessions you want to discuss?

20 comments:

Brianna said...

ummm I am obsessed with FNL. mostly Tim Riggins. yes please. And Tami Taylor is who I aspire to be. Coach's wife. That is, if Riggs is the coach. did you finish the series??

Sharone said...

I just started watching FNL too! And I have my serious doubts about Lyla. My vote would be a combination of bad actor/character.

Stephanie said...

I did finish the series! I loved Tami's "ending." (Trying not to include spoilers here...)

Amy said...

Yes yes yes!! FNL!! Tim Riggins is a God!

Eliza R. Snitch said...

Oh wow. Your choice of summer entertainment is waaaay more sophisticated than mine. I've been watching "H20: Just Add Water", an Australian show about 3 teenage girls who turn into mermaids when they get wet. It's every bit as awful/awesome as it sounds.

Stephanie said...

@Eliza: I want to go to there.

Angie said...

I finally finished up Greek. *Sigh*--Oh Cappie, my Cappie. And is it me, or did Rusty get progressively better looking? Maybe it's my soft spot for the sweet, nerdy guy. Guess I have a reason to start FNL now--I've had a friend who's been recommending it for some time.

Eliza R. Snitch said...

AND you quote "30 Rock"?! I think we were BFF in the Pre-Existence.

Kristen said...

omg Eliza I need to find this, asap!

Jamie said...

I think Lyla improves drastically as the series progresses. It's probably a combination of the actor's skills and the writing for the character.

I don't know how much you've watched, but don't give up in season 2. In fact, skip it all together.

Natalie said...

FNL = best show ever. One day I hope to have a marriage like Tami and Eric's. Amazeballs.

In the meantime, I'll take a some Tim Riggins.

Natalie | The Bobby Pin said...

I have been told I need to get into FNL... however as the last remaining person on earth without a Netflix account, this might be difficult... last summer I obsessed over Grey's Anatomy and I would walk to Blockbuster to rent 4 DVDs at a time. I'm pretty sure I was the only premium member of Blockbuster's premium member program to buy one get one free.

I think there should be a monetary element to the bachelor... they are all competing and most of them don't even seem to like the prize of an engagement at the end. Money could make things a little more interesting, it always does.

Ru said...

Love FNL!!

Re: Lyla being a mediocre actor or mediocre character ... can't she be both? Because that's what I'm going with.

S.A.R. said...

OH MCB!

How long I have waited to hear you say you watch "Friday Night Lights!"

Let me just say, as a woman who never felt anything for Texas or football or high school, this show is my current (and possibly 2nd place for all-time) favorite.

Tami is my favorite person in the universe. She did some monologue reading for an episode of "This American Life" and I literally screamed (note, I was by myself, in my car, on the freeway) when I recognized her voice. Tami Taylor. Mother of the Year. Every year. For the next millenium.

And Tim Riggins. Even my husband has a crush on him.

I could go on and on. Really I could.

I'm actually flying to Texas tonight. For a cousin's wedding. And I am thrilled-- THRILLED I tell you. If you had asked me a year ago if I was excited to go to Texas I probably would have just shrugged and said,"Meh." If you asked me now I would just start galloping around the room on a pretend horse, wielding a pretend lasso, shouting "Pan-thers! Pan-thers! Pan-thers!"

And yes. Lyla is mediocre.

Stephanie said...

@S.A.R. I KNOW! Tami Taylor IS mother of the year! Urgh. I love her so much, and I aspire to her.

My sudden interest in Panther-country is likewise alarming.

I'm so glad we have this in common. What season are you on? I just finished THE WHOLE SERIES in an embarassingly short time.

Risti said...

That quote is....THERE ISN'Y EVEN A WORD TO DESCRIBE ITS AWESOMENESS!!! I'mma use that one! Thank you.

S.A.R. said...

MCB.

We've only watched seasons 1 through 4. We streamed everything we could on Netflix and may resort to illegality to get the 5th season. My terrifying nightmare is that I will accidentally read all the big plot give-aways in people's comments on blogs and facebook, so I have literally gone on a facebook fast so I don't find out anything by accident (that's how the ending of "Lost" got kind of screwed over for me). Blogs... I cannot break that addiction, even in serious times like these.

My sister-in-law unwittingly spoiled something for me before realizing I haven't seen the 5th season. I should just get on it already and watch the whole season in a weekend to minimize the risk of this ever happening again. This. Is serious stuff.

Also, since you have a crush on Landry like I do, you should know my husband watched the movie "Paul" on our plane ride, and Landry has a cameo. If you're desperate for more Landry in your life, there is a way to get some (yes, that sounded slightly dirty and no, I'm not changing that sentence).

I like how I talk to you in the comments instead of, you know, writing you an email or, you know... calling.

Annalia said...

I have a friend, obsessed with FNL, who got to be a walk-on extra - on her birthday!

...I still haven't seen an episode.

Em said...

I HATE the "I didn't know you felt that way," but I of course use it frequently:)

Alyosha said...

I love FNL! And I agree about Tami's ending--so fabulous.