Ad

9/11/11

waiting with their light

If there is ever a day to post a poem...



The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.



— Wendell Berry




Hoping that each of us can take a moment to rest in the grace of the world, and be free.

5 comments:

Vapid Vixen said...

Absolutely beautiful. I suppose worrying is one of the things that make us human.

cristie said...

of all that i have read today...this is my favorite. thank you. xox

MamaBear said...

thank you. i have missed you since i deleted cookies and lost my google reader (for a year). i'll have to share a photo soon which you'll appreciate.

Jessa said...

I've read your blog for a bit now and have never felt the need to comment until today. I read this post and it was exactly what I needed to hear (read) today. It has been a rough couple of days starting the first week of classes with my students, and I've found myself awake many nights worrying over other people's children. Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.

Natalie | The Bobby Pin said...

I love this poem.

P.S. You're overdue for a blog post -- I'm wanting to hear your voice!