Ad

3/14/12

she's almost here.

The Waking

BY THEODORE ROETHKE
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.   
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?   
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?   
God bless the Ground!   I shall walk softly there,   
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?   
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do   
To you and me; so take the lively air,   
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.   
What falls away is always. And is near.   
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.   
I learn by going where I have to go.
Theodore Roethke, “The Waking” from Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke.







I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.   I learn by going where I have to go.

7 comments:

Melody said...

How exciting! Good luck with everything!

Tammy said...

Here is a blog post I think you will love.
http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2012/03/on-finally-accepting-feminism.html

Enjoy

Stephanie said...

You are right! I did love it. Thank you.

Shan said...

I heard, congrats!!

ChristyLove said...

I feel better about reading your blog than playing almost anywhere else on the internet because you post poetry, and it makes me feel like I'm educating myself instead of wasting time.

/makingupexcuses.

Miss Molly said...

I'm anxious to hear about the new babe. I'd love to know you in real life. I'm curious to hear how your adjustment to motherhood goes and what perspectives you gain--its the wildest thing a human being could ever do.

Sending love--

Molly

Ashlii Brooke said...

You are beautiful in every way and I can't thank you enough for what your words do. Thank you for being strong enough to say them aloud for those of us who didn't know how. You have one lucky baby girl heading your way. :)