8/26/16

Adventure (day 4)

This is a memoir writing project created by Ann Dee Ellis. We write 8 minute memoirs based on her prompts. All the cool kids are doing it. Today's prompt: Adventure.

I put off writing this because the prompt made me angry. Adventure. I feel like there's a lot of pressure to be adventurous these days. All the Pinterest girls and their "Let's be Adventurers" prints. Let's be Adventurers. 

Let's just go to bed early and pay our mortgage and listen to podcasts while we fold laundry. 

Can someone make me a "let's just survive this next thing" print? In that fancy casual cursive calligraphy everyone knows how to do all of the sudden? 

For the record, I felt the same way about Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project. Which I never read because I didn't want to feel guilty about not finishing a project. I'm happiest not reading books on how I failed at being happy.

I'm most adventurous when I don't feel pressure to be something I'm not. 

I guess that's something. The best adventures of my life usually happen after I decide to be myself and not who I should be.

You shouldn't marry someone you barely know.

You shouldn't leave the church.

You shouldn't say that. 

You shouldn't quit your very stable, very reliable, very convenient job to try something new. 

But I've done all those things. (The last one I did today! I just got the letter from my school district accepting the resignation letter I wrote with a red grading pen because my printer was broken.) 

It's been an adventure. 





1 comment:

Laura Pennock said...

Adventure is something that I laugh about as I tell the tale to my friends; but when I'm in the middle of it, ain't nobody having any fun, least of all me!! I am to damn old to having adventures. The end.